15 February 2008

Thing 7 - Web 2.0 Communication

Email - I've been using email for nearly 15 years now, and I am very impressed by the improvements that have been produced in this time. The spam filters are wonderful as are the rules that direct email directly into predesignated folders. I love having folders to organize my incoming mail, and have vowed that I wil not use my inbox for storage. I WILL read, reply & file them right away. And so far, so good.

IM - In my years online, I have used many different instant messanger services including AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, Google Talk, and others I don't remember. (I currently use Yahoo {screen name rlgray001} & Google {screen name rlgray01}.) I love IMing and chatting real time with friends from around the country and also with co-workers just down the hall. It is quicker and less formal that calling or emailing, and I also like being able to send files quickly & easily.

Text Messaging - I am not a fan of texting, and have never sent a text message. I know if may seem odd since I do so much IMing ont he computer, but I feel that if I can send a text message on my cell phone, I can call the person much easier.

Web Conferencing - I have been a part of a couple webinars via SirsiDynix. They offer free webinars on a wide variety of library-related topics and the best thing about them is they archive their confrences so people can get the info long after the session is completed. I have also attended web confrences through my past employer, Minnesota School of Business. The online librarian holds basic library instruction sessions each quarter to teach students about using the matierals available to them on their webpage. The power of web confrences & webinars is in their ability to connect people from anywhere together at one time and teach them the same thing. A very powerful tool!

No comments: