22 February 2008

Thing 12 - I've Reddit

I took a look at the four sites included in this thing, and decided to register and play with Redditn today. What an interesting way to get my daily news fix.

I can really see how this kind of site would appeal to the populists out there. Everyone who registers is able to help or hinder a news article, image, website or YouTube video's ability to be seen by more people. It's really easy to select the up or down arrow if I like or dislike something that's been posted. This will be a fun site for me to play with, but unfortunately I do not really see a use for this in the library world for the following reasons:
  • Librarians like to select what they present to their patrons. Reddit doesn't really allow for this kind of professional filter.
  • The articles & other postings I saw were for funny or political in nature. The articles did not include any real serious or pressing news.

I did post an article from MPR on the arrest and charging in the school bus crash tragedy from earlier this week in Cottonwood, MN. It hasn't gotten any points from others in the 33 minutes it's been available on Reddit. I'm not really surprised since the other postings on the list are much more fun and upbeat.

No comments: