25 April 2007

I am a librarian - really!

"I am a LIBRARIAN!" ~Evie from The Mummy.

I can only agree with the above quote. Being a librarian is not just a job, it's a way of life. Unfortunately for me, that means people think I'm an organized type of person. Not so my friends! I am one of the more outwardly disorganized people I know, but if I need to find something in my misc. piles on my desk or at home, I can usually do it in 3.5 seconds. Give or take a few minutes.

But back to living life as a librarian. I love the fact that I know how and where to find information on a wide variety of topics - not just online either! I also love the fact that my education for this lifestyle included classes on how to catagorize information - just please don't ask me to catalog anything! Have you guessed yet that my passion is reference? I thought you may have. :)

I love helping others. I really do. It was a natural choice for me to go through the MLIS program at St. Kate's to combine my love of books/learning and helping others. I've been a professional librarian for 17 months now and I love it. Really. I am glad I've found a niche for myself and that I am able to do what I enjoy doing for a job. And also be able to live the exciting life of a librarian.
Excuse me, but a student needs help turning on a computer now.

No comments: