19 May 2009

Thing 43: Online TV and Video

My husband & I finally learned about the power of Hulu this week from IMDB.com. We were looking at information on Michael York, and we noticed there was a film clip in his biography. Upon following this clip, we realized it was a full-length movie - The Last Remake of Beau Geste, a Marty Feldman film that we never would have discovered otherwise. The hubby hooked the laptop to the TV, and we watched it last night. It wasn't earth-shattering, but it was fun, and it opened the door for us to explore more online TV & video.

I am not sure that the ability to watch on-demand shows & movies will change my daily television viewing since the shows I like to watch are not available online yet, but it will add a bit of fun when nothing is on and we don't feel like going out and renting a movie. I don't see this kind of service replace broadcast or cable television, but I do see the possibility of Hulu & Joost to allow my family to lower our service package and watch more of these free shows. And I have the feeling with the ecomony as it is, we're not the only household that will do so. So this could have a big impact on the higher end cable & satellite packages.

No comments: