18 May 2009

Thing 42: Music 2.0

I’ve used Pandora quite a bit – it’s a wonderful service to add a bit of music to what can be a very quiet office. I really like the fact that I can select a band and a station will be created for me that allows me to listen to music like that artist plays. I have run into a slight glitch in the site for novelty music – like the stylings of Weird Al and other Dr. Demento stars - Pandora matches music only takes into consideration the overlying feel & theory behind their music, and doesn’t include the content/comedic aspects. Besides this completely understandable drawback, I really enjoy Pandora.

Another Internet radio site I’ve used quite a bit is 1.fm. You can listen to a wide variety of music with more traditional radio programming as its format. I particularly like the Flashback Alternatives station on 1.fm.

I do not believe that broadcast radio will be replaced by Internet radio – at least not for quiet a few years yet. There are too many places that do not offer wi-fi and not enough car stereos that allow you to tune in to Internet sites for radio.

No comments: