28 January 2009

Thing 25: Bloggers' Toolkit

I had a lot of fun in poking around the various tool and toys in this thing this afternoon. I added two widgets to this blog; one looks at where visitors to the blog are from, and the other lets visitors see places around the world in real time. I figure they go well together! I would have liked it better for the Clustrmap to have the option of showing a more compressed area (like the Midwest, or even just MN), since I don't expect anyone from outside the region to come a visiting.

I looked at a couple other options like games and countdowns, but I didn't see them as being good choices for a mostly professional blog. That said, I may go back and add a couple of them to a personal blog sometime in the future. Other gadgets, like the frog that climbs the area given to the widget, are just plain silly. I would have liked to add a widget that featured leadership quotes since I'm active in MILE, but it had a script error and is not functional.

I poked around quite a bit when looking at these different tools. I'd say all told I spent about an 75 minutes on this thing. And I don't see it as a waste of time at all. Very good things to learn more about!

No comments: