06 March 2008

Thing 20 - MySpace

Once upon a time, a long time ago I created a MySpace account because a lot of my friends had one. Unfortunately, I haven't touched it in quite a while. (Boy, this sounds very familiar to a couple of these other things!)

For this thing, I popped back in and poked around a bit. I found myself a pretty layout that a commercial site created and applied it to my page. I also found a couple more friends to befriend on the site which is cool. BUT...I don't really see myself using this social network much at all in the future. I am very interconnected and enjoying LiveJournal, that I do almost all my personal networking & blogging there.

The last library I was at (MN School of Business) has a MySpace account in an attempt to reach their clients better, since college students of all ages seem to be the most active facebookers and MySpacers out there. Our online librarian was in charge of it, so I really do not know how successful it was in reaching our students. The idea is a good one, and I'm sure many school libraries & YA librarians are able to reach more people online than they would be if they counted on their young clients coming into the actual library building.

No comments: