19 February 2009

Thing 27 - Twitter

I'm a very regular twitter-er already, so for this Thing I simply added a twitter widget to this blog so all my visitors can see my last 5 tweets. I usually use twhirl so I can upload what I'm up to straight from my desktop instead of having to login to a website.

One of my favorite tweets that I follow is the NatHistoryWhale. The "author" of this feed is the blue whale that hangs from the ceiling at the Natural History Museum in New York City. He has just started posting again after being silent for a while, and he posts quirky things like this one from yesterday: "Everyone's talking about how it's snowing outside. Hello? Why isn't anyone talking about the 21,000-pound whale in the room?" If you reply to his comments, you are almost guarenteed to get a reply, which is fun too.

I actaully have 2 twitter accounts, my personal one, and one for my work at SELCO. SELCOtv is a podcast project we are working on, and to help promote it, we have SELCOtv on twitter. Please follow it and find out our latest video podcast episodes! I think this is a great use of this kind of Web 2.0 tool, and a quick and easy way for libraries to share with their patrons what is happening in the library.

No comments: